I believe technology is going on a
roller coaster ride from here to there.
There are a ton of turns and dips and peaks. I love technology and use it everyday. But some things I like more than
others. There are factors that
contribute to my likings and disliking.
But today, I want to talk about manners in children-teens with regards
to technology.
I will do my best
to not go off on a rant, but cannot make any promises. I cannot stand when I look and see a
child texting and surfing the web on their iPhone and they are only 6 years
old. I know that I am not that
old, but back in the day – you didn’t get a cell phone until teenage
years. I know that I really don’t
like it because we had to wait and work hard for what we earned. Children these days get everything
handed to them.
When you try to
talk to one of them face to face when they are on their phone, good luck
getting their attention. It takes
forever and really show no respect to you who trying to talk to them. I cannot stand when at the dinner table
when the teenagers phone rings and he or she pulls out the phone to read their
text message. Teenagers lack proper technology etiquette.
“50 percent of children surveyed between the
ages of 8-12 reported owning at least 2 mobile technology devices (Emily
Post).” The fact that these
numbers are so high is astonishing.
Do children that young really need more than one pieces of technology?
Emily Post. (2012). Families and Manners: Some
Kids Would Rather Give Up Summer Vacation Than Their Smart Phone or Computer! From
http://www.emilypost.com/communication-and-technology/personal-communication-devices/680-parents-and-children-and-mobile-manners
I agree with your blog post because I think as time continues technology will be so infused into our society that it will be second nature for a 10 year old to have a laptop, a smartphone, and a tablet. It will be wrong if they did not. I understand the points that people have made that it allows for parents to be aware of their children whereabouts but I do not think that children that are under the age of 13 need to have a smartphone when they have no idea how to use it or have no need for it.
ReplyDeleteIt really is amazing how fast people are getting new technology. But it is true, people are becoming less connected with others and children are not being taught how to handle this evolution of technology.
ReplyDeleteI also think that people in general should be taught general technology etiquette. I have heard and seen dozens of cases where technology consumes a persons life and it is not just in children but in adults as well.